Upgrading the lighting at your business can improve employee productivity, increase sales and reduce safety hazards. Energy-efficient lighting can also reduce operating costs and increase the value of your facility.The Business Lighting Retrofit program helps owners and leaseholders of commercial and industrial facilities upgrade lighting and controls to more efficient technologies.This program offers cash incentives for installing approved energy-saving upgrades. Material specifications and requirements are provided to help ensure quality work. Participants are responsible for properly disposing of removed materials, such as fluorescent tubes and ballasts, in a manner that complies with all regulations. Some lighting contractors offer such disposal service.
Commercial and industrial facilities served by the PUD are eligible for this rebate program. To participate, the PUD must complete a site visit and sign an agreement with the customer before the project begins. All newly installed equipment must meet the requirements of the program.
Fluorescent and High Intensity Discharge (HID) lighting contains trace amounts of mercury and other toxic materials. Lamps and ballasts should always be disposed of properly. For more information, contact the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality’s Hazardous Waste Program at (503) 223-5913 or Total Reclaim Environmental Services at (503) 281-1899.
- Request an Audit – Contact us for a free lighting audit by email or by calling (503) 366-5470. We will schedule an appointment for the lighting audit, inspect your facility, and identify a list of eligible lighting upgrades. You must be present for the audit. Please allow 60-90 minutes for a thorough inspection.
- Get Recommendations – Our Energy Experts will provide a list of recommended lighting efficiency upgrades and the estimated incentives.
- Get Proposals – Solicit proposals from licensed electrical contractors.
- Submit Your Proposal – After you have selected a contractor, send their proposal to us for review. We will then send you an agreement to sign before the project commences.
- Complete your Project – Notify us when the project is complete, and give us a copy of the contractor invoice. Submit a completed lighting rebate application form. We will perform a final quality assurance inspection.
- Receive Your Rebate – We will pay your rebate once your new lighting has passed inspection and we have received all the required documentation.
- Upgrade fluorescent T-12 lights with magnetic ballasts to fluorescent T-8 or LED lights.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with ENERGY STAR LED bulbs.
- Replace incandescent or fluorescent exit signs with long-lasting, low energy LED exit signs.
- Upgrade incandescent security and parking lot lighting to LED fixtures.
- Install time clocks or photoelectric cells to control exterior lighting.
- Consider removing excess fluorescent lamps and installing reflectors.
- Clean diffusers and lamps every 6-12 months for improved light output.
- Paint dark walls and ceiling with lighter colors to maximize the effect of existing light sources.
- Don’t use it when you don’t need it! The most efficient light is one that is turned off when it isn’t needed.