Variable Refrigerant Flow Systems
This program is available to our commercial customers who are installing a Variable Refrigerant Flow System (VRF) in an existing space to replace either zonal or forced-air, electric-resistance heat. Buildings heated by air-source heat pumps or gas are not eligible. The PUD offers a rebate of $800 per ton for installations meeting all of the requirements below.
To be eligible for this program, the existing building must have the following characteristics:
- The building has to have been occupied for at least one year without a change in building use type, or have data available for the previous year’s electricity use.
- The conditioned floor area must be 100,000 square feet or smaller.
- The area conditioned by the new VRF needs to have previously been heated by either zonal or forced-air, electric resistance heat as the primary heating source.
To qualify for this program, the VRF installation must meet the following requirements:
- Be a split-system heat pump employing an inverter-driven outdoor compressor
- Have inverter-driven or variable speed indoor blowers
- Meet the minimum CEE Tier 1 efficiency levels
- Have the VRF Project Information form filled out and submitted.
- Confirm Eligibility – Contact us to determine if your business is eligible
- Find a Contractor – Contact contractors to request proposals. View a list of qualified local contractors.
- Submit Paperwork – Complete and submit a VRF Project Information form.
- Complete the Installation – We will notify you when your project has been approved and you can proceed with installation. Once we receive notification that your system is installed, we will schedule an inspection.
- Receive your Rebate – We will pay your rebate once your new system has passed inspection and we have received all the required documentation.
Expert Help Available
We can help you determine if an energy-efficient VRF is right for you. To learn more, please call (503) 366-5470 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.