Variable Refrigerant Flow Systems
This program is available to our commercial customers who are installing a Variable Refrigerant Flow System (VRF) in an existing space to replace either zonal or forced-air, electric-resistance heat. Buildings heated by air-source heat pumps or gas are not eligible. The PUD offers a rebate of $800 per ton for installations meeting all of the requirements below.
To be eligible for this program, the existing building must have the following characteristics:
- The building has to have been occupied for at least one year without a change in building use type or have data available for the previous year’s electricity use.
- The conditioned floor area must be 100,000 square feet or smaller.
- The area conditioned by the new VRF needs to have previously been heated by either zonal or forced-air, with electric resistance heat as the primary heating source.
To qualify for this program, the VRF installation must meet the following requirements:
- Be a split-system heat pump employing an inverter-driven outdoor compressor
- Have inverter-driven or variable speed indoor blowers
- Meet the minimum CEE Tier 1 efficiency levels
- Fill out and submit the application.
- Confirm Eligibility – Contact us to determine if your business is eligible
- Find a Contractor – Contact contractors to request proposals. View a list of qualified local contractors (PDF).
- Submit Paperwork – Complete and submit the application.
- Complete the Installation – We will notify you when your project has been approved and you can proceed with the installation. Once we receive notification that your system is installed, we will schedule an inspection.
- Receive your Rebate – We will pay your rebate once your new system has passed inspection and we have received all the required documentation.
We partner with Efficiency Services Group (ESG) to bring you this rebate program. Call ESG at (888) 883-9879 or email ESG to determine if an energy-efficient VRF is right for you.