Stay Safe Around Downed Lines
If you see a fallen power line, call us immediately at (503) 397-1844. Call 9-1-1 if it is a medical or life-threatening emergency.
- Never touch a downed power line. Always assume all downed lines to be energized and contact us immediately. Stay at least 200 feet away.
- Remember, if a power line is touching someone, stay away. If you attempt rescue, you could easily become a victim yourself. Call 9-1-1 for emergency help. If you have a way to disconnect the power source, do so.
- Always keep at least 200 feet away from any downed line. The ground around a power line may be energized as well, making it very dangerous.
- Never touch trees or limbs that are touching power lines.
- Never drive over a downed power line, or under a line that is sagging over the roadway.
- Don’t touch cars, debris or fallen branches that are near downed lines. Anything touching a power line is just as dangerous as the power line itself.
Downed Lines & Car Crashes
If a downed power line falls across your vehicle, stay in the vehicle. Do not get out unless the vehicle is on fire! If you must get out of the vehicle, try to do so without touching both the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Jump from the vehicle, landing with your feet together on the ground. Shuffle or hop from the vehicle until you are at least 50 feet away; if you walk or run, your legs may bridge current from areas of high and low voltage, resulting in electric shock.