Simple Tips for Staying Cool & Saving Energy
Summer is here! Follow these tips to keep cool while keeping your home energy costs to a minimum:
Basic Strategies to Keep Cool
- Close blinds and drapes or cover windows during daylight hours to keep the sun off the glass.
- Keep your house closed during the day to keep heat out and ventilate it well at night to let cool air in.
- Turn off the lights in unoccupied rooms. Turn off or unplug unnecessary electronics.
- Dress for the weather. Wear lightweight, loose fitting clothing on hot days to help keep cool.
- Drink plenty of cold liquids.
Habits that Save Energy
- Skip the dishwasher’s drying cycle. Air dry items instead.
- Dry laundry on a clothesline.
- Set your A/C thermostat to 78.
- Cook more meals in your microwave or grill outdoors. This will cook your food without heating your home.
- Use a fan with your room air conditioner to help move the cool air throughout the house.
Investments That are Worth It
- Shade your air conditioner; make sure it has good airflow on all sides.
- Add insulation if needed to stay warmer in winter and cooler in summer.
- Good attic ventilation keeps your house cooler. Keep attic vents clear and attic fans functioning properly.
- Install awnings or plant deciduous trees to shade windows on the south and and east sides of your home.
- For the most energy-efficient home heating and cooling, install a heat pump (for homes with ductwork) or a ductless heating and cooling system (for homes with zonal heat).
For More Information
For more information on energy savings tips, energy efficient rebates or a free in-home energy audit, contact our Energy Experts at (503) 366-5470or email@example.com.