Reducing your energy usage during peak times is easy. Here are some tips to help you get started.
Easy Habits to Adopt
- Use the delay cycle on your dishwasher. Set to run during the night or in the middle of the day while you are at work.
- Do your laundry on weekends.
- Set your thermostat back when you leave in the morning. Lowering the temperature of your house while you are away at work can lower home heating costs.
- Improve the efficiency of your home. Start with a free home energy evaluation.
- Make extra meals on weekends. Try preparing extra meals on Saturday or Sunday, then re-heating them in the microwave during the week. It will save time on weekdays, too!
Use Your Heating System More Efficiently
- Set your heating system back 5 degrees during peak hours. You can program your thermostat to warm your home before peak hours.
- Turn your thermostat down an hour or two before you leave in the morning. You'll stay warm enough from the residual heat in the house, and reduce your electric usage during our peak morning hours.
- If you have a heat pump, use a programmable thermostat to schedule when your house needs to be warmer or cooler. The thermostat will automatically optimize your heating system's performance, saving energy and lowering your bill.
Learn about Peak Hours and how using less energy during those times will help keep rates lower for all PUD customers.